Contract Management Jobs Part 2
Last Updated November 19, 2013
Education and Training
The education and training requirements for contract management jobs vary by employer, role and industry. While some companies and government agencies may accept a two-year degree and relevant experience, most employers require at least a bachelor’s degree. Some contract management professionals go on to earn master’s or doctorate degrees. For example, contract attorneys typically hold a Juris Doctor (JD).
Because contract management degree programs are not widely available, many professionals earn a degree in a related field – such as business administration or law – and pursue specialized training through executive education programs.
In addition, many employers prefer to hire candidates with at least one of the following NCMA certifications:
- Certified Commercial Contract Manager (CCCM)
- Certified Federal Contract Manager (CFCM)
- Certified Professional Contract Manager (CPCM)
To prepare for the rigorous NCMA certification exams and develop the critical skills required for commercial or government contract management jobs, many professionals enroll in continuing professional education – such as the 100% online certificate programs offered by Villanova University.
Professionals who complete Villanova’s Certificate in Agile Contract Management will learn the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand the procurement process, from requisition to contract enforcement
- Evaluate RFPs and draft strong proposals that can generate new business
- Master strategic contract planning for a competitive advantage
- Apply best practices in contract management and negotiation
- Sit for the CCCM, CFCM and/or CPCM certification exams
- Successfully compete for the most sought-after contract management jobs
The certificate program consists of three courses. Students receive a certificate of completion from Villanova University upon completion of each course, and may also earn valuable continuing education units (CEUs).
Do You Have What It Takes to Land the Best Contract Management Jobs?
Whether you are new to the field of contract management or looking to advance, formal contract management training can give you a significant edge. To position yourself for the best contract management jobs, you need excellent negotiation skills, strong communication abilities and comprehensive knowledge of the contract management process. In addition, industry certification is a must for many positions. Villanova’s contract management certificate program will equip you with the knowledge to achieve industry certification, plus skills and credentials that distinguish you as a contract management expert!