Register Now
Classroom Login
Call Now
Call Now 855-300-1473

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

By Bisk
Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

The Veterans Education Assistance Program offered tuition assistance to Servicemembers who started active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985. The program is no longer offered, except to those who enrolled during its active period. Participants made contributions from their military pay that the government matched on a 2-for-1 basis.

Veterans Education Assistance Program Benefits

Eligible veterans are able to receive one to 36 months of educational assistance, based on the number of monthly contributions they made. Funds can be used for many different types of training, including:

  • College degree and certification programs
  • High-tech training
  • Technical or vocational courses
  • Licensing and certification tests
  • Certain entrance exams
  • Flight training
  • Apprenticeships or on-the-job training
  • Correspondence courses
  • Entrepreneurship training

VEAP Eligibility

Veterans may be eligible to receive educational assistance through the program if they meet the following conditions:

  • Entered the service for the first time between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985
  • Opened a VEAP account before April 1, 1987
  • Voluntarily contributed $25 to $2,700 into their account
  • Successfully completed their first period of service or were discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable
  • Those currently on active duty must have at least three months of available contributions

Veterans Education Assistance Program Restrictions

VEAP benefits must be used within 10 years of separation from the military. If the veteran does not use their educational benefit during this time period, their contribution is refunded automatically.

How to Apply for VEAP Benefits

Veterans should check with the VA to ensure their program of choice is covered by the Veterans Education Assistance Program. Participants must download and complete VA Form 22-1990 and send it to the regional office closest to where they will pursue their education. They also need to send a copy of their Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty (DD Form 214).


Related Articles and Stories:


Category: Military