Help yourself on the path to new career heights by developing essential leadership skills. Whether you aspire to be an entrepreneur or a CEO at a large company, you should set your goals high and actively work on becoming a strong leader. Here are 10 steps that can help get you started on the path to success:
Leadership Skills Include Taking the Good with the Bad
- Learn From Your Failures - Great leaders learn from their mistakes. Analyzing what went wrong in a failed operation is a tried and tested way to help prevent it from happening again.
- Accept Responsibility - Leaders give others due credit for successes and take responsibility for their own shortcomings and failures.
Leaders Help Others Grow
- Groom Your Successors - Developing a new generation of leaders is essential to your success. You can't climb higher if there is no one to take your place - so don't be afraid to delegate responsibilities and groom your successors. Giving up control is a sign of a confident leader.
- Provide Direction - Achieving business goals requires hard work and collaboration. As a leader, it's your job to motivate your people to work toward the company's goals. Inspiring teams means painting a clear picture of what success means for the company - and for each employee. It takes time and energy to learn what motivates each person, but that's what true leaders do.
Earning Respect Is a Leadership Skill
- Be Trustworthy - Many people have problems giving trust to others in the workplace.To earn this trust from others, it will help to be honest and transparent. Always stick to your word.
- Be Authentic - If possible, try to stay in touch with your inner, real self. Recognizing both your talents and your shortcomings can be an important path to authenticity. When you're aware of your strengths and weaknesses, and when you acknowledge what you don't know, people are more likely to offer their help.
Leaders Are Effective Communicators and Collaborators
- Embrace Self-Expression - Don't be afraid to ask questions, speak openly and honestly, and give praise when it's deserved (or simply needed). Giving up a little control over your words might cause people to open up and connect with you.
- Collaborate - Most companies rely on teams of individuals collaborating toward a common goal. Good leaders not only provide guidance and support, but are willing to pitch in and help. They also know how to draw out team members' talents and make them feel valued - which, in turn, may make them feel more invested in the company's success.
- Exude Confidence - Many great leaders have an air of confidence, make decisions quickly and are unafraid of risk. These things can't happen if you're hindered by doubt or feelings of inadequacy. Take the steps to build your confidence, which can give you greater control over your career.
- Join in Extracurricular Activities - Outside activities can help to enhance work relationships, make you look like a real human (as opposed to an intimidating authority figure) and may enable you to really know your coworkers. Join the team - just for the fun of it!
Pave Your Way to the Top With Leadership Skills Training
When you're ready to hone your leadership skills, it makes sense to learn from a proven leader. Villanova University offers a highly respected Master Certificate in Organizational Leadership program. With Villanova's 100% online courses and flexible, video-based e-learning platform, you can work to expand your skills and earn new credentials as your busy schedule allows.